I am gonna introduce a very simple but very useful function of Tableau, no need to be an expert and be equipped with absolutely high skills. If you are users, not developers or administrators, this function can help you to save a lot of time on daily business. A custom view is a way that you can save your custom setting of filters and no need to re-set the filters every time. Meanwhile, you wouldn't affect other users. The same function on Power BI is putting here.
So how are we gonna set the custom view?
- Settle down all of your filters as you have done on your daily business. Go to your Tableau portal and you can find a function called “view original” on the top of all tabs.
2. To give a name for this custom view. This is important because you may have more than 10 custom views if you are in charge of a wide variety of businesses.
3. If you need to check this custom view daily, I would suggest that you put this view as default to save your time. Again, saving the time spent on a routine job is an extremely part of high-efficient work.
Another practical function is the subscription. Why we need it? Because the owner of the dashboard can only send the subscription of standard view through email. If you create custom views then you need to subscribe to them separately so that you can have daily updates through email.
How to build it
- After you build the custom view, click the subscription function on the top above all tabs
2. You can select to send the view or entire workbook, all depends on your needs. Set the email subjects for the coming update periodically. In this step, you can select the format as well. Both PDF and image types are good choices.
3. An important setting here is the schedule. Make sure you set the proper schedule for you and it won’t disturb you so much.
Here you go. Quite simple ways but which can save your time and support you a more efficient way of work.